Before Filling Out the FAFSA Form You and your child each need to gather these documents:

• Social Security number or Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen but an eligible noncitizen. • Federal income tax returns, W-2s, and/or other records of money earned. If you’re applying in the 2024-25 Award Year, use your 2022 tax return and other documents.

• You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into the FAFSA form using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT). • Both parents or the student and spouse may need to report income on the FAFSA form if they did not file a joint tax return. For assistance with answering the income information questions, call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable) - Records of untaxed income (if applicable)

If you or your family have unusual circumstances that should be taken into account, contact your school’s financial aid office. For example, an unusual circumstance could be unique medical or dental expenses or a large change in income not reflected in your tax information.

Learn what to do if your family’s economic situation changed.

• 14 •

Powered by